1.Some people encourage watching sports as a way of learning about teamwork and strategy, while others believe that one can learn these skills only through playing sports. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
2. New technologies have changed the way children spend their free time. Do you think the advantages of this trend outweigh the disadvantages?
3. Some people prefer to spend their lives doing the same things and avoiding change. Others, however, think that change is always a good thing. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.
4. Although parents are responsible for raising a child, outside influence plays a key role in their development. To what extent do you agree or disagree
5. Movies and tv shows are a good way to study history despite their lack of historical accuracy at times. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
6. Nowadays, instead of locally sourced produce, many supermarkets sell a variety of foods imported from countries all across the world. Do the advantages of this development outweigh the disadvantages?
7. Rising university fees and scarce employment prospects for graduates have led some people to say that universities should not teach arts subjects, like philosophy and history, and only offer practical degree courses that maximise chances of employment. To what extent do you agree or disagree? Give a reason for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
8.In some parts of the world, traditional festivals and celebrations have disappeared or are disappearing. Why is this happening? What measures could be taken to ensure they do not disappear?
9.Some people believe that using taxpayer funds to look for life on other planets is important. Others, however, think that it is a waste of public money because there are many more important issues requiring funding on our own planet. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
10. Are there any societal challenges associated with an aging population?
CELPIP Writing Tasks :
You’re experiencing problems with your heating and hot water. Write an email to your landlord. Draw his attention to the failure of his attempts to resolve the problem, express your concerns about the low temperatures, and suggest a solution.
I am writing to draw your attention to a heating issue in my apartment. After mentioning the problem, in apartment 237, to your maintenance crew several times, and receiving nothing but empty promises, my feelings of frustration are rapidly rising.
Our heating issues began in the late fall when chilly evenings set in, and our attempts to turn up the heat proved futile. Feeling sure that this was a temporary problem, we simply pulled on sweaters, added extra blankets to our beds, and cozied-up in warmer pajamas. However, as the temperatures continued to drop, our concerns grew, and we asked a member of your maintenance crew to come and take a look at it.
The temperature outside is now -30˚C and inside +5˚C thanks to an abundance of space heaters that our neighbours have been generous enough to lend to us. Obviously, this situation is unacceptable, and so we ask that you give the matter your prompt attention. Temporarily moving to a vacant apartment in the building while the heating is being fixed would be a welcome alternative.
2. Your employer has asked you to organize a trip for a group of foreign students who are visiting from other countries. Write an email to a local museum asking about their exhibits, opening times and prices.
I am writing to ask for some help organizing a trip to your museum. Any information, tips and suggestions that might help make the day a success would be really great. I particularly need to know about times, rates and discounts.
Although I have been to your museum, I am a little concerned that it will not fill the whole day. With this in mind, it would be useful to know about any upcoming exhibits, their size, and when they will start and finish. Can you recommend any other attractions that might help to make the day a success? The nearer the better.
My group is made up of foreign students, all under 18. I am wondering if you offer any additional discounts for students. If so, how much is the discount and how many students would need to be in the group to quality for it?
I look forward to your reply.